[Samba] win 7 no logon servers available error

Paul Venzke venzkep at srt.com
Sun Nov 6 15:08:27 MST 2011

<snip>

> Reinstalled openldap, samba and windows 7, the latter on oracle virtual
> box.
>
> I joined the domain HH1 without problems. I have setup bind on the
> samba host
> as a DNS server and stup the win 7 machine with static settings which
> point to
> the host with the dns server. No problems. Win 7 can ping out through
> the
> gateway and see webpages. But _still_ I get the 'no logon servers
> available'
> message when trying to logon to the domain. The users can login at a
> linux
> command prompt fine. THey can also see their files when logged into the
> win 7
> box by typing e.g.
>
> \\HH1\steve2
>
> So I don't think this is a DNS problem, I don't think it is a Win 7
> problem
> and LDAP is working so it must have something to do with samba. The
> samba is
> that shipped with opensuse 11.4 version, 3.5.7
>
> Does anyone have any clue as to where to turn next?
> THanks so much and sorry to have to bump this one on a Sunday.
>
> Steve.

<snip>

Steve;

The AppArmor profiles for nmbd and smbd prevented smbd and nmbd from running
on Opensuse 11.4.  If you have not done so already go to YaST>Novell
AppArmor>AppArmor Control Panel>Configure Profile Modes. Set both
user.sbin.[s,n]mbd to complain rather than enforce. If this works you can
rewrite the profiles for proper operation or leave them off.

PV

If it ain't broken you're  not trying.