[Samba] win 7 no logon servers available error

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sun Nov 6 05:54:39 MST 2011

On Sunday 06 Nov 2011 00:06:17 steve wrote:
> Hi
> I have joined a win 7 computer to my samba domain. Logging in gives me:
>
> 'There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon
> request.'
>
> The win 7 machine is called S-PC and getent passwd gives me:
>
> S-PC$:x:1002:100:Machine:/var/lib/nobody:/bin/false
> lynn2:*:1001:1001:l:/home/lynn2:/bin/bash
>
> lynn2 is an ldap user who can login OK.
>
> I see that /var/lib/samba(netlogon is empty.
>
> I've been through endless posts trying to sort this out. I have a samba pdc
> setup with ldap on opensuse 11.4.
>
> The logs give this:
>
> [2011/11/05 23:45:23.779300,  0]
> passdb/pdb_get_set.c:212(pdb_get_group_sid) pdb_get_group_sid: Failed to
> find Unix account for S-PC$
>
> But that doesn't make sense because S-PC$ _does_ have a Unix account.
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> smb.conf is:
>
> [global]
>         workgroup = hh1
>         passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1
>         printing = cups
>         printcap name = cups
>         printcap cache time = 750
>         cups options = raw
>         map to guest = Bad User
>         include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
>         logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
>         logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
>         logon drive = P:
>         usershare allow guests = Yes
>         add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d
> /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %u
>         domain logons = Yes
>         domain master = Yes
>         idmap backend = ldap:ldap://127.0.0.1
>         ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=com
>         ldap group suffix = ou=group
>         ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
>         ldap machine suffix = ou=Machines
>         ldap passwd sync = Yes
>         ldap ssl = Off
>         ldap suffix = dc=com
>         ldap user suffix = ou=people
>         local master = Yes
>         os level = 65
>         preferred master = Yes
>         security = user
>         wins server =
>         wins support = No
> [homes]
>         comment = Home Directories
>         valid users = %S, %D%w%S
>         browseable = No
>         read only = No
>         inherit acls = Yes
> [profiles]
>         comment = Network Profiles Service
>         path = %H
>         read only = No
>         store dos attributes = Yes
>         create mask = 0600
>         directory mask = 0700
> [users]
>         comment = All users
>         path = /home
>         read only = No
>         inherit acls = Yes
>         veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/
> [groups]
>         comment = All groups
>         path = /home/groups
> [...]

Reinstalled openldap, samba and windows 7, the latter on oracle virtual box.

I joined the domain HH1 without problems. I have setup bind on the samba host
as a DNS server and stup the win 7 machine with static settings which point to
the host with the dns server. No problems. Win 7 can ping out through the
gateway and see webpages. But _still_ I get the 'no logon servers available'
message when trying to logon to the domain. The users can login at a linux
command prompt fine. THey can also see their files when logged into the win 7
box by typing e.g.

\\HH1\steve2

So I don't think this is a DNS problem, I don't think it is a Win 7 problem
and LDAP is working so it must have something to do with samba. The samba is
that shipped with opensuse 11.4 version, 3.5.7

Does anyone have any clue as to where to turn next?
THanks so much and sorry to have to bump this one on a Sunday.

Steve.