[Samba] What could cause the streams depot to become confused?

Thu Nov 3 02:38:30 MDT 2011

On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 04:18:23AM +0000, Maurice R Volaski wrote:
> I'm using a program on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 that
> requires NTFS alternate data streams. It's talking to a
> Samba 3.6.0 SMB2 share configured with streams_depot. The
> program has been running for over a month with no obvious
> problems, except that the filesystem has been accumulating
> "lost" directories. Apparently, at some point after the
> whole server crashed (both are VMs running on this
> server), the program can't seem to access any stream data.
> What could be causing this?
>
> What could the program, which is the only user who has
> access to this ZFS filesystem, be doing that it causes
> Samba to generate "lost" directories? Could this have
> anything to do with the present situation?
>
> The code for the streams module says it generates hashes
> from the "fsid," but it's not clear where this number
> comes from? The samba server is replicated to another
> server using ZFS send/receive and the filesystem and
> program were originally accessing the streams data from
> the original server and then at some point later were
> switched to using the replicated filesystem. However, that
> was weeks ago and there wasn't any problem until very
> recently.
>
> Is there any way to debug what might be going on? Is there
> any easy way to test if the stream depot can retrieve
> streams?

The depot module depends on the device number being
consistent. If you issue a "stat <filename>" you can see the
device number. If that changes for the base files, then the
attached streams become inaccessible.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de