[Samba] getent passwd not returning users/groups

James Chase james at chasecomputers.net
Tue Nov 1 15:04:05 MDT 2011

I'm trying to get my CentOS 5.6 machine setup as a Active Directory
Domain Member with Windows 2008 level domain and samba 3.5. I haven't
tried this before.

I can successfully join the domain and return users using 'wbinfo -u'
and groups with 'wbinfo -g' but when I try 'getent passwd' I only get
the local users. I'm not sure what element that indicates is failing in
the process. I'm not confident in my pam.d/ setup since different guides
show different methods of setting this up. The /etc/nsswitch.conf file
has been edited to include winbind as a source for passwd/shadow/group.

The only insightful error message I see in the samba logs is this
(repeated over and over in all the logs) but I haven't found the
solution. Is this the cause of my problems? How do I disable spinlocks?
I'm using a prebuilt package from sernet

[2011/11/01 16:46:19.979981,  1] lib/util_tdb.c:385(tdb_log)
   tdb(unnamed): tdb_open_ex: spinlocks no longer supported

Here is my samba configuration dumped from smbtest:

[root at sambatest ~]# testparm
rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[test]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER

[global]
         workgroup = SHAMOFFICE
         realm = SHAMBHALA-OFFICE.LOCAL
         interfaces = 127.0.0.1, eth0
         bind interfaces only = Yes
         security = ADS
         printcap name = cups
         idmap backend = ad
         idmap uid = 10000-20000
         idmap gid = 30000-40000
         winbind enum users = Yes
         winbind enum groups = Yes
         winbind use default domain = Yes
         idmap config SHAMOFFICE : schema_mode = rfc2307
         idmap config SHAMOFFICE : range = 4000-5000
         idmap config SHAMOFFICE : backend = ad
         idmap config * : range = 2000-3000
         idmap config * : backend = tdb

[test]
         comment = Directory for storing pictures by jims users
         path = /local/test
         read only = No
         guest ok = Yes