[Samba] Samba 4 and gpo in win7

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Sun May 15 15:30:26 MDT 2011

On 14/05/2011 00:22, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> On 13/05/2011 20:34, Michael Wood wrote:
>> On 13 May 2011 13:23, Kalle Pettersson<taetre at bredband.net>  wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Could access sysvol directory per default from xp and win7 machines.
>>>
>>> Tried adding adding host msdfs = yes in smb.conf.
>>>
>>> Afterwards non of the clients could access sysvol directory through
>>> explorer view.
>> First, what path did you try to connect to exactly?  Assuming your
>> server is called server.example.com, did you connect to \\SERVER\...
>> or was it \\example.com\...?
> you have to try \\domain.tld\ because that's the way client will do.

Ok looks like we had a couple of bugs in the dfs clients most of them
because my tests where not enough and when we changed some low level
marshalling and unmarshalling of messages well the stuff for dfs has not
been updated.

I'm planning to push a couple of patches in the next days or so. I just
retried my code with windows XP and windows 7 and both are able to
access \\domain.tld\sysvol.
But for some reason a windows XP workstation that I used since 2 years
for development was not happy with my samba server _and_ also with a
Windows 2008r2 (so I guess it's more a problem of the client than
something else).

For those who are asking if samba4 support dfs, the answer is partially.
We just support DFS for sysvol and netlogon shares as they don't need
too much information in the AD, support for domain DFS shouldn't be very
complicated but that's not high in my priority list.

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team        http://samba.org