[Samba] Microsoft Outlook pst files unable to open or create

Doug Tucker tuckerd at lyle.smu.edu
Tue May 10 09:03:28 MDT 2011

I am using the kernel supplied by centos for 5.5.  There is an updated
kernel that came out last week, I just haven't/can't reboot the box to
get it running.  But the other is not *old*, the upstream release of
what I am currently running is late March 2011.  Remember, RedHat ports
things of newer kernels into the release level number of the existing
ones.  So a 2.6.18 kernel is not really a 2.6.18 kernel, it's within a
patch level or 2 of being up to date with the official kernel from
kernel.org.  Them keeping the package numbers the same and adding a .0.3
etc to the end of it is things of many discussions good and bad.

What "upgrade" problems are you referring to?  Our centos4 server has
and continues to have zero issues whatsoever.  The ONLY reason for
upgrading at all was the hardware is 4 years old and wanted to get it on
newer hardware.  While I was upgrading anyway, I chose to go with
centos5 because 4 is officially unsupported by RedHat (retiring, no more
patch releases) next February, so an upgrade would be necessary in a
year or so anyway.

As of yum update last night, I am now already officially packaged centos
5.6:

cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.6 (Final)

The new kernel installed is:

kernel-2.6.18-238.9.1.el5 (note, same kernel version number, but went
from .238.5 to .238.9).

I have 20 users or so with multiple mounts currently on it.  It's going
to be tough to get the downtime to upgrade to samba 3.5.  I will put in
the request for downtime now though and we'll see.  However, the centos4
box is running 3.0 also, and again, does not experience this issue.

Question.  The smb.conf settings you suggest.  Are these things I can
set in the current 3.0 or are they 3.5 only settings.  And, all shares
are nfs mounted on the backend, is it ok to put the other 2 in global or
do I have to edit that in all 50 or so shares plus user homes?

Thanks so much for your effort here, I can't tell you how much it is
appreciated.  I have done everything I could think of for 2 weeks to no
avail.

Sincerely,

Doug