[Samba] Microsoft Outlook pst files unable to open or create

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue May 10 09:15:59 MDT 2011

Hai Doug,

The settings i suggested are for 3.5.x, they does not exist in 3.0
The "upgrade" problems are not really upgrade problems, but security fixes
and
new parameters in samba.

Im not a centos user but i'll try to help.

what you can do before the samba upgrade.
on the old server
testparm -v > old.txt
and on the new server.
testparm -v > new.txt

diff old.txt new.txt | less
and compair.

The problems can come from the kernel.
If the 2.6.18 = 2.6.32+  then it could be.
cifs, locking etc has changed in the kernel.

so in the diff look first for the locking parameters with the diff.

i suggest looking here also.
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/locking.html
search for Samba Oplocks Control
Microsoft Outlook's personal folders (*.pst) react quite badly to oplocks.
If in doubt, disable oplocks and tune your system from that point.
so you can try that.

good luck,

Louis