[Samba] Samba 3.5.8 - windows XP workstations disapear from browselist

Chris Smith smb_77 at chrissmith.org
Mon May 9 09:10:57 MDT 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 10:41 AM, BartekR <bojleros at gmail.com> wrote:
> name resolve order = wins host bcast
> As You wrote below. Am I correct ?
>
>> 3) make sure that your DHCP server (you seem to have enough systems
>> that manual configuration would be undesirable) provides the proper
>> information for NetBIOS and WINS. And fix the name resolve order in
>> smb.conf (you have a typo - hosts instead of host). For example:
>
> testparm does not report this as error. Are You sure ?

Yes, I'm sure but you don't have to take my word for it. Read the
"man" page for smb.conf:
http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html

Basically testparm tests the parameters: the left hand side, and not
the values: the right hand side. You'll find you can put all kinds of
nonsense on the right hand side of most statements and get no errors
(try it).

> Is it normal that workstation gets registered more than one time ?

Yes.