[Samba] Is it possible to use Samba as a proxy and cache for a slow CIFS drive ?

Mon Mar 28 15:13:07 MDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 02:38:17PM +0200, Martin Gilly wrote:
> what will the proxy be able to do without a caching function ? Can I
> mitigate the slow performance of the share with Samba as a proxy or
> is there a way to "attach" a cache to it ?
>
> How could a custom VFS module be setup ? Do you know someone who
> could do this for me ?

In general, I think what you're trying to achieve is very,
very difficult to do correctly. You can spend big bucks on
the WAN accellerators around, they serve a very similar
purpose. It would probably be better to approach Alfresco to
speed up their implementation to fit your expectations. Or
maybe just re-architect your system so that the bulk traffic
can be sort-of precomputed and put on a different server?

With best regards,

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9