[Samba] Is it possible to use Samba as a proxy and cache for a slow CIFS drive ?

Martin Gilly mg at metamagix.net
Tue Mar 29 03:29:53 MDT 2011

Hi Volker,

thx for your answer !

I've been talking to a setup of WAN-Accell/WAFS vendors (Expand, Riverbed, Certeon, BlusCoat) in the last weeks but their strategies do not work in my setup because they never store-and-forward but rather stay synchronous with the backend and optimize the WAN-CIFS traffic and this is not of help for me as this optimization does not yield any benefits on the LAN and staying in sync with the backend keeps the bad performance :-/

With Alfresco, I was not able to acceive and progess - they tend to just not answer anymore once you tell tell you did the basic tuning they recommend and still have issues :-(

Doing things in two tiers looks like a good approach; but before putting together something completely new I'm trying to see if this problem has already been looked at. For Samba, I believe there was the plan once to implement something like a cifs proxy but it does not seem like this every reached a mature state ...

kr,
martin