[Samba] Upgrade from Samba 3.0.33 to 3.5.8 woes

Ryan Pugatch rpug at linux.com
Tue Mar 22 19:26:55 MDT 2011


I just did a major upgrade to our Samba infrastructure.

I previously had a domain controller and share running 3.0.33 (on one
box, one samba instance)

I set up a new domain controller running 3.5.8, made that the PDC for
our domain, and changed the (now former) domain controller running
3.0.33 to just be a member.  Additionally, we moved the IP from the
old DC to the new DC (and subsequently gave the former DC, now just a
member and file share a new IP)

Now I am having some strange issues.

Windows machines in our London office (which is connected via a tunnel
between some Cisco ASA's from HQ to London) can no longer see the
domain (which is at HQ) UNLESS we disable the Windows firewall on the
workstations OR add exceptions to the firewall for the PDC.  Machines
at HQ see the domain fine.  Now, the PDC has the SAME IP as the old
domain.  So it's not like the rules would need to be any different
anyway.  Frankly, I don't quite understand how this worked before -
but it did!  Did something change between 3.0.x and 3.5.x which would
cause this behavior and is there a fix?  I am hoping to not have to
run through and change all of the firewalls on all of our workstations
(especially since we can't do so via netlogon scripts etc as they
won't see the domain!)  Worth noting, our machines all have an lmhosts
file which tells them where to go for the domain, hence why we moved
the IP from the old dc to the new dc.

Second problem.. users can't access our file share (which was formerly
the domain controller, now just a member) when connected via our VPN
(a juniper ssl vpn).  The VPN drops them into the same network as if
they are in the office -- and it works fine if you are in the office.
Yet, if you come in via VPN you received "no logon servers available"
errors.  Mac users connecting to the file share via SMB have no
problem.  The following error is logged in smbd.log (redacted my
specific names):

 domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user
$username in domain $mydomain to Domain controller $mypdc. Error was

Happy to provide any additional info.. I'm baffled!  All of this
worked before without problems.


More information about the samba mailing list