[Samba] Upgrading system on file server

Bayardo Rivas - Open Soluciones bayardo.rivas at opensoluciones.com
Thu Mar 17 11:45:50 MDT 2011

Hi,

I have an old version of Suse runing a Samba. I will upgrade this box
from Suse 9.3 -> Suse 11.3. I know that there are a lot of risk but my
top fear is about Samba. This is a production server and network users
authenticate with this server. We do not have roaming profile, but I
know that if I install from scratch I lose my domain, SID number changes
and I have to reconfigure all the clients and this is not an option.

So, I will try  to upgrade the box with the installation disks, but if I
get problems and I am forced to install from scratch, what do I have to
do to keep my domain working and don't lose the conection between the
domain and clients and keep it transparent for clients?/

Any suggestions are welcome.

Bayardo