[Samba] Upgrading system on file server

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 12:16:16 MDT 2011

You should build a 2nd box with Suse 11.3-  you can configure it as a DC
either in same or test domain to make sure it works OK.  If you have
LDAP as a backend, configure a BDC is possible.

Is the purpose of the upgrade to upgrade Suse or to upgrade Samba?  if
you just want to upgrade samba you may wish to compile from source?

Run testparm -v to see the location of your private directory and locks
directory.  make sure those directories are backed up.

I would also backup /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow file  (maybe the whole
/etc directory.)