[Samba] Write list and user permissions.

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Tue Mar 8 15:40:23 MST 2011

From: Konstantinos Koutsomanolis <kkoutsomanolis at gmail.com>
Subject: [Samba] Write list and user permissions.
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 13:20:36 +0100

(snip)

> Folders are in second HD that is auto mounted at boot through fstab.
> All folders and sub folders have permission to read and write changed to
> user , group , other.

(snip)

> [drawings]
> 	comment = Drawings
> ;	browseable = yes
> 	path = /media/80GBHD/Projects/Drawings
> ;	writeable = No
> 	valid users = @mordor
> 	write list = me, harald, heiner, maria

(snip)

> Problem : When i try to access from a windows XP machine the folders
> with username : me, everything is nice.
> when i try to access my folders with username i.e. maria then i can
> see all the folders but i cannot write in the folders i gave her
> permission

For the "drawings" share, the smb.conf looks like good. And I examine
following smb.conf at Samba 3.5.6 and user monyo can write:

-----
[share1]
  path = /some/where
  # The permission of /some/where is 1777
  valid users = @group
  # both tako and monyo are the member of group1
  write list = tako, monyo
-----

Can maria write /media/80GBHD/Projects/Drawings from Linux(UNIX)?

Output of "ls -la /media/80GBHD/Projects/Drawings" is what you want?

What does samba log say?

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at samba.gr.jp>