[Samba] Write list and user permissions.

Konstantinos Koutsomanolis kkoutsomanolis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 05:20:36 MST 2011

Hello,
I am trying to make a small server around the team that we experiment
together. I gave permission to read to all users and i gave permissions to
write only to some of them, dependent on the folder.
Folders are in second HD that is auto mounted at boot through fstab.
All folders and sub folders have permission to read and write changed to
user , group , other.

users : me, harald, heiner      are system admins in linux machine and they
have access to all folders with read and write permissions

users : maria michael        are desktop users in linux machine i want them
to have permission write in specific folders.

folder temp is a folder where everybody can read and write.

[global]
	workgroup = MORDOR
	server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
	map to guest = Bad User
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	pam password change = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	unix password sync = Yes
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1000
	dns proxy = No
	usershare allow guests = Yes
	create mask = 0777
	directory mask = 0777

[server]
	comment = Projects
;	browseable = yes
	path = /media/80GBHD/Projects
;	writeable = No
	valid users = @mordor
	write list = me, harald, heiner

[drawings]
	comment = Drawings
;	browseable = yes
	path = /media/80GBHD/Projects/Drawings
;	writeable = No
	valid users = @mordor
	write list = me, harald, heiner, maria

[engineering]
	comment = Engineering
	browseable = yes
	path = /media/80GBHD/Projects/Engineering
;	writeable = No
        valid users = @mordor
	write list = me, harald, heiner, michael

[temp1]
	comment = DocumentTemp
;	browseable = yes
	path = /media/80GBHD/Projects/DocumentTemp
;	writeable = No
	valid users = @mordor
	write list = @mordor

All users of group mordor have account in linux machine.

Problem : When i try to access from a windows XP machine the folders
with username : me, everything
is nice.
when i try to access my folders with username i.e. maria then i can
see all the folders
but i cannot write in the folders i gave her permission

even if i logon from a winxp machine that has the user maria and same
password as winlogon then same thing happens.