[Samba] Samba + Windows 7 Foreign Language

João Osório joao.osorio at sibace.pt
Sat Mar 5 11:08:52 MST 2011

Hello,

My network was running smoothly with XP machines and Samba 3.0.24 as PDC.
But now some Win7 Pro (Portuguese) machines arrived.

Using the info from http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7, I upgraded
samba to 3.5.7, and applyed the Windows 7 fixes described there on one of
the new machines . The upgrade went fine. The old XP machines work fine
(although I had to re-join them to the domain). When I tested the "fixed"
Win7 machine to join the domain, it was accepted. Then I logged on with a
user, and a new profile (V2) was created.

Now my problem is: the first time the profile is created on the windows
machine it is properly localized. But after logoff, when the profile is
trasferred to samba, all the skeleton is in english (for the XP machines,
the skeleton is in portuguese). When I log in for the second time with the
same account, I get a mixed language Windows, with all the roaming stuff in
english and the rest in portuguese. For example, opening the startup menu
shows: "documents | pictures | music" links which are in english, and then
"computador | painel de controlo | dispositivos e impressoras |  etc.."
which are in portuguese.

Does anyone know how can I fix this, so that the Windows 7 clients appear
totaly in portuguese?

Thanks in advance,
Joao

PS - Please note that, as I stated, Win XP machines are working properly and
in 100% portuguese.