[Samba] root preexec script run multiple times

Thu Mar 3 08:29:02 MST 2011

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 04:17:02PM +0100, mourik jan heupink wrote:
> In a normal situation, should I expect a [global] root preexec
> script to be run only ONCE per user logon?
>
> I have set some logging in my root preexec script, and have noticed
> that usually it will be run only once on the share IPC$.
> However, SOMETIMES I also see it executed on different (existing)
> share names, or two/three/four times in a row on the same IPC$
> share. (with only a few seconds in between)
>
> Running multiple copies of the same script messes up my script. :-(
>
> So: I this normal behaviour..?
>
> This is on suse 9 enterprise, samba version 3.0.26a.

Yes, it is normal. The client is free to connect and
disconnect to shares as many times as it chooses. But it
should never happen that from one smbd the script is run
more than once simultaneously.

Regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9