[Samba] filesystem of choice?

Linda Walsh samba at tlinx.org
Fri Jun 24 16:16:00 MDT 2011

>> On 24/06/11 09:46 AM, John G. Heim wrote:
>>> I'm setting up a new linux fileserver and I was wondering if samba
>>> likes one filesystem more than another. I have to format a 1.8Tb
>>> partition sometime today and I'll probably do ext3 unless samba
>>> prefers something else.

----
	I would use 'xfs'.  I believe samba was originally developed
over xfs, so it's likely the ea-suppot and acl support has had the most
testing there.  Especially if your file server is setup with a UPS,
then I'd strongly recommend it.   If not, ext4 might be safer (with write
through).   It will be slower, but safer.

	With a UPS, XFS's default 'write-back', will give the fastest
performance for large file writes (I think reads as well).   It's worst
performance is on "removing" large numbers of files, as that is pretty
much a  synchronous operation...