[Samba] Samba and Ldap

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 07:16:08 MDT 2011

The user's unix LDAP password should be encrypted (technically I think
it is actually hashed, since it is not reversible)-  so no, you can't
get their existing password.

There are two options in smb.conf to have the password sync

     ldap passwd sync = yes

or

         unix password sync = yes

I have ldap backend for linux and samba passwords, but initally had NIS
for unix and TDB for samba.   I use the "unix password sync" option
partially as a legacy hold over of the previous backend.

I therefore also set
             passwd program = /etc/samba/smbldappasswd.sh %u
             passwd chat =*New* %n\n *changed*

Samba passes the new "windows" password to the external script which
uses the sun ldappasswd command to change the user's unix script.    You
can't just use the "passwd" command since the local root account on a
unix server is not the LDAP admin user.

The " ldap passwd sync = yes" would probably have been cleaner.