[Samba] Samba and Ldap

thom_schu at gmx.de thom_schu at gmx.de
Fri Jun 24 03:36:22 MDT 2011

Hi,
all the users here are stored in a LDAP-Server, means authentication on a workstation (linux) is over LDAP. Yesterday I configured a Samba-Server, it also uses the LDAP-Server as its backend.
I found out, that with a call "smbpasswd -a user" an existing user gets all the attributes from the sambaSamAccount automaticly.
But here is my first question - for this call I need to know the users password, is there a way, so that I can use the users password already saved in LDAP as the unix account password ?

Another question.
When a user calls "passwd" on a workstation, now only the passwordfield in LDAP for the unix account will be changed. But I want to keep unix account password and samba password synchron - is this possible with calling "passwd" ?

thanks

gizmo