[Samba] UID mapping

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Tue Jun 14 16:28:49 MDT 2011

Martin Rootes wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I'm trying to convert an old system on Solaris 10 that uses the
> smbpasswd file authentication method to a system that authenticates
> against Active Directory. I've managed to get winbind working but of
> course this just allocates UIDs as it sees fit whereas the smbpasswd
> file method used the UID from the /etc/passwd file. The user codes on
> the Solaris server match the user codes in AD but if I just switch over
> to winbind the UIDs will not match. If there were only a small number of
> users I could simply change the ownership of the users home directories
> to match the winbind allocated UID but unfortunately there are thousands
> of users and so this would be a mammoth task. I've has a look at various
> bits of documentation but can't get my head around the best strategy.
> Has anyone needed to do something similar and if so how did you go about
> it?
>
>     Also the users' home directories are distributed around multiple
> directories and I would prefer to continue to use the home directory
> information from /etc/passwd as opposed to using "template homedir"
> (although I assume that I could leave the directories in place and just
> set up links to them). I've had also had a look at the PADL nss_ldap
> stuff but can't get it to compile, it seems to be looking for SASL,
> would the SASL version on the Sun Freeware site work?

Would not filling out the rfc2307 information in the AD not be the way
forward? Then winbind would not be allocating UID's but using what was
set in the AD which you could match with your current settings. In
addition you could have your home directories wherever you want on a per
user basis depending on what you have set in the AD.

If you are going to be using AD then it is best not to fight it, and any
AD server after 2003 R2 has the rfc2307 scheme extensions activated, you
just need to populate the fields. Though I appreciate that sometimes
this can be easier said than done if you don't have control over the AD
servers.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.