[Samba] need recipe for samba to do user authentication against a centos 5.5 openldap server (NO IDMAPS! NO PDC!)

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 07:48:01 MDT 2011

In most cases, your users will have separate unix and windows
passwords.  Assuming you have password sync working (various ways to do
this) this will still appear to be a single password to the users.

Use something like Apache Directory Studio to verify that you can login
to LDAP with the credentials specified to samba.

My smb.conf includes

         workgroup = MYDOMAIN
         server string = myserver
         netbios name = MYSERVER

         passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://myldapserver.mydomain.com
         domain logons = yes
         preferred master = yes
         domain master =  yes
         local master = yes
         dns proxy = No
         wins support = yes

         ldap suffix=o=mydomain.com
         ldap user suffix=ou=people
         ldap machine suffix=ou=people
         ldap admin dn="cn=Directory Manager"
         ldap ssl = no
         ldap passwd sync = no

         passwd program = /etc/samba/smbldappasswd.sh %u
         passwd chat =*New* %n\n *changed*
         unix password sync = yes

[netlogon]
         comment = Network Logon Service
         path = /export/samba/netlogon
         read only = no
         guest ok = Yes
         share modes = No
         write list = @Administrators

the ldap admin is the built in default ldap admin on my server.

You may need to explicitly create unix groups and group  mappings for
well know windows groups

net groupmap add ntgroup="Domain Admins" unixgroup=100512 rid=512
type=domain
net groupmap add ntgroup="Domain Users" unixgroup=100513 rid=513
net groupmap add ntgroup="Domain Guests" unixgroup=100514  rid=514
net groupmap add ntgroup="Domain Computers" unixgroup=100515   rid=515
net groupmap add ntgroup="Domain Controllers" unixgroup=100516   rid=516

You also need to create a unix account for the Administrator.

will need unix and samba accts for each machine, include the PDC

# smbpasswd -a -m MACHINENAME

And I think you need to join the domain

  net rpc join -S MYSERVER -W MYDOMAIN   -U Administrator

My PDC is a solaris server.  I think on linux machines you may NOT want
to include the quotes in the ldap admin acct name.

I couldn't get ldap password sync to work-  so I use standard unix pw
sync which calls an external script to handle setting the ldap pw's.