[Samba] need recipe for samba to do user authentication against a centos 5.5 openldap server (NO IDMAPS! NO PDC!)

Sat Jun 4 01:50:32 MDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 07:46:49PM -0700, Clayton Hill wrote:
> Please help Ive been wasting days at this...
> I am not trying to create a PDC, I am not joining an active directory, I am
> not needing samba schema in my openldap (or do I?), I am not trying to use
> winbind and idmaps for translations from SID to UID/GID, I just want my
> samba server which shares linux home directories to authenticate
> user+password against my existing linux based openldap server.
>
> These are already POSIX accounts on the openldap server, so the UID and GID
> need no translation AFAIK
>
> All I want to do is have users log into the samba share with their openldap
> Linux accounts.
> unfortunately this is not working... at all.

You need the Samba schema in OpenLDAP and sambaSamAccount
objects, Samba can't use the password attributes OpenLDAP
uses natively.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9