[Samba] On Samba4

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 09:12:54 MDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 10:56 AM,  <titantoppler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd be most happy to answer any questions you may have, though fair warning:
> my version of Samba is kind of outdated (alpha 12), so what worked for me
> might not work for you.

      Well, I am ashamed to say I too am running right now alpha 12
because that is what came in ubuntu 10.10. So, hopefully I should be
able to duplicate your stuff ;)

> I'm not too familiar with offloading the DNS service to another computer; as
> you may have surmised, my setup has the DNS on the Samba server. I think the
> main thing about having a DNS server is getting it to accept updates from
> clients (dynamic DNS updates for browsing).

      Right now my "normal" DNS server can do the dynamic dns updates.
I am, however, wondering which other things I need to provide. For
instance, I would expect stuff like netbios-node-type and
netbios-name-servers can be provided by my current dhcp server without
hurting the samba4 AD behaviour. I could be wrong...

> I believe I am running a pure S4 setup; I recall that the S3+S4 thing
> confused me mightily at the beginning. I'd have to check to make sure
> though; how can I do this?

      Let me know because I too would like to know in my own setup.