[Samba] On Samba4

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 08:35:43 MDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 5:04 AM,  <titantoppler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Samba4 alpha 12 as the only DC and file server on my local
> network.
>
> It is working well. After the initial setup, everything can be managed from
> a Windows workstation.
>
> Functions I've tried so far:
> - Group policy objects
> - Adding / removing users
> - Roaming profiles
> - DNS updates
>
> Essentially the main functions you would expect from a Win 2k3 server will
> be there. It's been almost 10 months since I installed it, and it's been
> smooth sailing so far.
>
> Some features have been added / tweaked with the latest alpha 14, but I have
> not kept up to date.

      What you have there is exactly all I want to do. I might need to
harass you for any details. My main question right now has to do with
DNS and DHCP: since the box is running bind, must it be the master for
that zone? After all, I already have a happy dns/dhcp server. Can I
get away making the samba4 box a slave bind box and just add the
relevant options (netbios-whatever) to my current dhcp?