[Samba] Access rights from ACLs not honored when setting file attributes?

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Wed Jun 1 09:37:55 MDT 2011

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 12:31:34 +0200

> This is somewhat a reincarnation of a problem I am facing since
> upgrading to samba 3.5.6 (3.5.8 is identical).

(snip)

> However using the windows function 'SetFileAttributes' fails in case the
> user who is connected to the samba server and executes the function is
> not either the owner of the file/directory or member of the owning group
> of the file/directory. Therefore it looks like samba is ignoring any ACL
> entry when using the windows function 'SetFileAttributes'. No matter if
> there is an ACE granting the proper access right, samba fails.

Can you set file attributes with GUI and Is "store dos attributes"
set?

As far as I examined at Samba 3.5.6, I can manually set attributes.

I accessed with user monyo to test2.doc whose ACL is set as below:

-----
# getfacl test2.doc
# file: test2.doc
# owner: tako
# group: root
user::rw-
group::rw-
group:aclshare3ro:r-x
group:aclshare3rw:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---
# id ika
uid=2018(ika) gid=2030(ika) groups=2030(ika),2005(aclshare3rw)
-----

My smb.conf is :
[global]
  (nothing is defined)