[Samba] VFS Objects Recycle questions

Robert Adkins II radkins at impelind.com
Wed Jul 27 07:26:44 MDT 2011

I have a need to setup the recycle vfs object on our server.

On  my test server, I have all of the shares on a single drive and have put
the following into each share:

vfs_objects = recycle
recycle:repository = [Actual Path and Partition that the share is located]
recycle:directory_mode = 770
recycle:keeptree = Yes
recycle:touch_mtime = Yes
recycle:versions = Yes

It works like a charm. All of the files when deleted from each share are
dumped into the RecycleBin share, I have created a new share just for the
RecycleBin that I have also mounted that I can perform a final delete on the
files located within.

On the live server, there are several partitions with shares split across
the several partitions. The setup is the same, in terms of having the above
entered into the individual shares and the RecycleBin for each share is
located on the same partition/mount point that the share is located.

Example:

[share1]
        wide links = no
        writeable = yes
        path = /mnt/disk2/share1
        write list = @share1
        force group = share1
        comment = Job Files and Related
        valid users = @share1
        create mode = 770
        user = @share1
        directory mode = 770
        vfs_objects = recycle
        recycle:repository = /mnt/disk2/sharebin/%u
        recycle:directory_mode = 770
        recycle:keeptree = Yes
        recycle:touch_mtime = Yes
        recycle:versions = Yes

[sharebin]
        wide links = no
        writeable = yes
        path = /mnt/disk2/sharebin
        write list = @share1
        force directory mode = 770
        force group = share1
        sync always = yes
        force create mode = 770
        comment = Location of Recycle Bin
        valid users = @share1
        create mode = 770
        user = @share1
        directory mode = 770

Everything else matches, the folders exist, the folder permissions are the
same, it's just a no go on relinking the files on a delete command from the
"share1" share.

--

Regards,
Robert