[Samba] The RPC server is unavailable

Daniel Müller mueller at tropenklinik.de
Sun Jan 30 02:42:23 MST 2011

TRy my thread for help, the last from october:[Samba] WG: HOWTO samba4
centos5.5 named dnsupdate drbd simple failover
Your password problem should be solved by:
"Password Policy Settings!!

Along with Samba4 the Password Policy you can only set from console, with
'net  pwsettings ' command.
net  pwsettings  –help:

usage: (show | set <options>)

  -h, --help            show this help message and exit
  -H H                  LDB URL for database or target server
  --quiet               Be quiet
  --complexity=COMPLEXITY
                        The password complexity (on | off | default).
                        is 'on'
  --history-length=HISTORY_LENGTH
                        The password history length (<integer> | default).
                        Default is 24.
  --min-pwd-length=MIN_PWD_LENGTH
                        The minimum password length (<integer> | default).
                        Default is 7.
  --min-pwd-age=MIN_PWD_AGE
                        The minimum password age (<integer in days> |
                        default).  Default is 1.
  --max-pwd-age=MAX_PWD_AGE
                        The maximum password age (<integer in days> |
                        default).  Default is 43.

  Samba Common Options:
    -s FILE, --configfile=FILE
                        Configuration file
    -d DEBUGLEVEL, --debuglevel=DEBUGLEVEL
                        debug level
    --option=OPTION     set smb.conf option from command line
    --realm=REALM       set the realm name

  Credentials Options:
    --simple-bind-dn=DN
                        DN to use for a simple bind
    --password=PASSWORD
                        Password
    -U USERNAME, --username=USERNAME
                        Username
    -W WORKGROUP, --workgroup=WORKGROUP
                        Workgroup
    -N, --no-pass       Don't ask for a password
    -k KERBEROS, --kerberos=KERBEROS
                        Use Kerberos

  Version Options:
    --version           Display version number

So I set my Password Policy:

net  pwsettings  set –--complexity=off
net  pwsettings  set ---max-pwd-age=60 #<---60 Days
net  pwsettings  set –min-pwd-length=5"

Goud luck
Daniel

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:20:18 -0500, Scott Carradice <jscottc at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I have used the Samba4 Howto as a guide.
>
> I am using OpenSuse 11.3 and the Samba version is:
> 4.0.0alpha15-GIT-61f7d7c.
>
> Everything was working as intended after installation.
>
> I did a fresh install on another computer of Windows 7.
> Joined my freshly made domain.
> Installed the remote administration tools.
> Created three users for testing with the remote admin tool - "Active
> Directory Users and Computers"
>
> All users log in fine.
>
> I install OpenSuse 11.3 on another computer and during install I select
the
> Windows Active Directory for user information.  This works and my three
> users can sign in on the OpenSuse machine.  I noticed that the computer
was
> not set up in Bind like my Windows 7 machine was automatically.
>
> First Question:  Is the best way to correct this to Stop bind, enter
> machine
> into zone file and start bind?  Or is this something that is expected to
> work like the Windows 7 machine?
>
> I then went back to the Windows 7 machine and tried to change one of the
> users passwords.  No matter what I tried, I can not get passed the
message
> that the password is unable to change due to the strength ( The value
> provided does not meet the length,  complexity ... etc ).  I am pretty
sure
> this is due to the minimum duration of a password.  After I waited a day
> was able to change the password once and then not again ( need another
day
> ).
>
> The first time I could not change my password I decided to see if I
could
> change the minimum duration with the remote tool "Active Directory Users
> and
> Computers".  But now when I run this I get the error:  "Naming
information
> cannot be located because: The RPC server is unavailable.  Contact you
> system administrator ... "
>
> Running using the command:
> samba -i -M single -d 3
> Gives this error when trying to use the remote admin tool:
>
> using SPNEGO
> Selected protocol [5][NT LM 0.12]
> Terminating connection - 'ldapsrv_call_loop:
tstream_read_pdu_blob_recv() -
-
> NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED]
>
> Question 2:  What is the cause of this?  Is the domain corrupt or is
there
> fix other than reinstall?
>

> Any other debug information I can provide that would be useful?
>
> From the Windows 7 machine running:  dcdiag /v /s: ...   results are
below.

> Thank you for any help,
> Scott
>

> Directory Server Diagnosis
>
> Performing initial setup:
>    * Connecting to directory service on server base.mytestdomain.ca.
>    * Identified AD Forest.
>    Collecting AD specific global data
>    * Collecting site info.
>    Calling

ldap_search_init_page(hld,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=mytestdomain,DC=ca,LDAP_SCOPE_SUBTREE,(objectCategory=ntDSSiteSettings),.......
>    The previous call succeeded
>    Iterating through the sites
>    Looking at base site object: CN=NTDS Site

Settings,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=mytestdomain,DC=ca
>    Getting ISTG and options for the site
>    * Identifying all servers.
>    Calling

ldap_search_init_page(hld,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=mytestdomain,DC=ca,LDAP_SCOPE_SUBTREE,(objectClass=ntDSDsa),.......
>    The previous call succeeded....
>    The previous call succeeded
>    Iterating through the list of servers
>    Getting information for the server CN=NTDS

Settings,CN=BASE,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=mytestdomain,DC=ca

>    objectGuid obtained
>    InvocationID obtained
>    dnsHostname obtained
>    site info obtained
>    All the info for the server collected
>    * Identifying all NC cross-refs.
>    Got error while checking if the DC is using FRS or DFSR. Error:
>    There is no such object on the server.The VerifyReferences, FrsEvent
and
>    DfsrEvent tests might fail because of this error.
>    * Found 1 DC(s). Testing 1 of them.
>    Done gathering initial info.
>
> Doing initial required tests
>
>    Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\BASE
>       Starting test: Connectivity
>          * Active Directory LDAP Services Check
>          Determining IP4 connectivity
>          * Active Directory RPC Services Check
>          ......................... BASE passed test Connectivity
>
> Doing primary tests
>
>    Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\BASE
>       Starting test: Advertising
>          Fatal Error:DsGetDcName (BASE) call failed, error 1722
>          The Locator could not find the server.
>          Printing RPC Extended Error Info:
>          Error Record 1, ProcessID is 1996
>           (DcDiag)
>
>             System Time is: 1/24/2011 14:58:43:619
>             Generating component is 2 (RPC runtime)
>
>             Status is 1722 The RPC server is unavailable.
>
>             Detection location is 193
>          Error Record 2, ProcessID is 1996
>           (DcDiag)
>
>             System Time is: 1/24/2011 14:58:43:619
>             Generating component is 5 (redirector)
>
>             Status is 1359 An internal error occurred.
>
>             Detection location is 190
>             NumberOfParameters is 2
>             Long val: 1441792
>             Unicode string: \\BASE\PIPE\NETLOGON
>          ......................... BASE failed test Advertising
>       Test omitted by user request: CheckSecurityError
>       Test omitted by user request: CutoffServers
>       Starting test: FrsEvent
>          * The File Replication Service Event log test
>          ......................... BASE passed test FrsEvent
>       Starting test: DFSREvent
>          The DFS Replication Event Log.
>          Skip the test because the server is running FRS.
>          ......................... BASE passed test DFSREvent
>       Starting test: SysVolCheck
>          * The File Replication Service SYSVOL ready test
>          The SysVol is not ready.  This can cause the DC to not
advertise
>          itself as a DC for netlogon after dcpromo.  Also trouble with
FRS
>          SysVol replication can cause Group Policy problems.  Check the
FRS
>          event log on this DC.
>          ......................... BASE failed test SysVolCheck
>       Starting test: KccEvent
>          * The KCC Event log test
>          Found no KCC errors in "Directory Service" Event log in the
last
>          15
> minutes.
>          ......................... BASE passed test KccEvent
>       Starting test: KnowsOfRoleHolders
>          Role Schema Owner = CN=NTDS

Settings,CN=BASE,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=mytestdomain,DC=ca
>          Role Domain Owner = CN=NTDS

Settings,CN=BASE,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=mytestdomain,DC=ca
>          Role PDC Owner = CN=NTDS

Settings,CN=BASE,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=mytestdomain,DC=ca
>          Role Rid Owner = CN=NTDS

Settings,CN=BASE,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=mytestdomain,DC=ca
>          Role Infrastructure Update Owner = CN=NTDS

Settings,CN=BASE,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=mytestdomain,DC=ca
>          ......................... BASE passed test KnowsOfRoleHolders
>       Starting test: MachineAccount
>          Checking machine account for DC BASE on DC BASE.
>          Could not open Lsa Policy
>          Could not get NetBIOSDomainName
>          Failed can not test for HOST SPN
>          Failed can not test for HOST SPN
>          * SPN found :LDAP/base.mytestdomain.ca/mytestdomain.ca
>          * SPN found :LDAP/base.mytestdomain.ca
>          * SPN found :LDAP/BASE
>          * SPN found :LDAP/d6256e29-5015-4918-b9fa-fee0c94503ea._
> msdcs.mytestdomain.ca
>          * SPN found

:E3514235-4B06-11D1-AB04-00C04FC2DCD2/d6256e29-5015-4918-b9fa-fee0c94503ea/
> mytestdomain.ca
>          * SPN found :HOST/base.mytestdomain.ca/mytestdomain.ca
>          * SPN found :HOST/base.mytestdomain.ca
>          * SPN found :HOST/BASE
>          * SPN found :GC/base.mytestdomain.ca/mytestdomain.ca
>          ......................... BASE passed test MachineAccount
>       Starting test: NCSecDesc
>          * Security Permissions check for all NC's on DC BASE.
>          * Security Permissions Check for
>            CN=Configuration,DC=mytestdomain,DC=ca
>             (Configuration,Version 3)
>          * Security Permissions Check for
>            CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=mytestdomain,DC=ca
>             (Schema,Version 3)
>          * Security Permissions Check for
>            DC=mytestdomain,DC=ca
>             (Domain,Version 3)
>          ......................... BASE passed test NCSecDesc
>       Starting test: NetLogons
>          * Network Logons Privileges Check
>          Unable to connect to the NETLOGON share! (\\BASE\netlogon)
>          [BASE] An net use or LsaPolicy operation failed with error 67,
>          The network name cannot be found..
>          ......................... BASE failed test NetLogons
>       Starting test: ObjectsReplicated
>          BASE is in domain DC=mytestdomain,DC=ca
>          Checking for CN=BASE,OU=Domain
Controllers,DC=mytestdomain,DC=ca
> [...]
>       Starting test: RidManager
>          * Available RID Pool for the Domain is 1600 to 1073741823
>          * base.mytestdomain.ca is the RID Master
>          * DsBind with RID Master was successful
>          * rIDAllocationPool is 1100 to 1599
>          * rIDPreviousAllocationPool is 1100 to 1599
>          * rIDNextRID: 1109
>          ......................... BASE passed test RidManager
>       Starting test: Services
>          Could not open Service Control Manager on base.mytestdomain.ca,
> error 0x6ba
>          "The RPC server is unavailable."
>          Printing RPC Extended Error Info:
>          Error Record 1, ProcessID is 1996
>           (DcDiag)
>
>             System Time is: 1/24/2011 14:58:44:760
>             Generating component is 2 (RPC runtime)
>
>             Status is 1722 The RPC server is unavailable.
>
>             Detection location is 193
>          Error Record 2, ProcessID is 1996
>           (DcDiag)
>
>             System Time is: 1/24/2011 14:58:44:760
>             Generating component is 5 (redirector)
>
>             Status is 1359 An internal error occurred.
>
>             Detection location is 190
>             NumberOfParameters is 2
>             Long val: 1441792
>             Unicode string: \\base.mytestdomain.ca\pipe\svcctl
>          ......................... BASE failed test Services
>       Starting test: SystemLog
>          * The System Event log test
>          Found no errors in "System" Event log in the last 60 minutes.
>          ......................... BASE passed test SystemLog
>       Test omitted by user request: Topology
>       Test omitted by user request: VerifyEnterpriseReferences
>       Starting test: VerifyReferences
>          The system object reference (serverReference)
>          CN=BASE,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=mytestdomain,DC=ca and
backlink
>          on

CN=BASE,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=mytestdomain,DC=ca
>          are correct.
>          Some objects relating to the DC BASE have problems:
>             [1] Problem: Missing Expected Value
>              Base Object:
>             CN=NTDS

Settings,CN=BASE,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=mytestdomain,DC=ca
>              Base Object Description: "DSA Object"
>              Value Object Attribute Name: serverReferenceBL
>              Value Object Description: "SYSVOL FRS Member Object"
>              Recommended Action: See Knowledge Base Article: Q312862
>
>             [1] Problem: Missing Expected Value
>              Base Object: CN=BASE,OU=Domain
> Controllers,DC=mytestdomain,DC=ca
>              Base Object Description: "DC Account Object"
>              Value Object Attribute Name: frsComputerReferenceBL
>              Value Object Description: "SYSVOL FRS Member Object"
>              Recommended Action: See Knowledge Base Article: Q312862
>
>          ......................... BASE failed test VerifyReferences
>       Test omitted by user request: VerifyReplicas
>
>       Test omitted by user request: DNS
>       Test omitted by user request: DNS
>
>    Running partition tests on : Configuration
>       Starting test: CheckSDRefDom
>          ......................... Configuration passed test
CheckSDRefDom
>       Starting test: CrossRefValidation
>          ......................... Configuration passed test
> CrossRefValidation
>
>    Running partition tests on : Schema
>       Starting test: CheckSDRefDom
>          ......................... Schema passed test CheckSDRefDom
>       Starting test: CrossRefValidation
>          ......................... Schema passed test CrossRefValidation
>
>    Running partition tests on : mytestdomain
>       Starting test: CheckSDRefDom
>          ......................... mytestdomain passed test
CheckSDRefDom
>       Starting test: CrossRefValidation
>          ......................... mytestdomain passed test
> CrossRefValidation
>
>    Running enterprise tests on : mytestdomain.ca
>       Test omitted by user request: DNS
>       Test omitted by user request: DNS
>       Starting test: LocatorCheck
>          Warning: DcGetDcName(GC_SERVER_REQUIRED) call failed, error
1722
>          A Global Catalog Server could not be located - All GC's are
down.
>          Warning: DcGetDcName(PDC_REQUIRED) call failed, error 1722
>          A Primary Domain Controller could not be located.
>          The server holding the PDC role is down.
>          Warning: DcGetDcName(TIME_SERVER) call failed, error 1722
>          A Time Server could not be located.
>          The server holding the PDC role is down.
>          Warning: DcGetDcName(GOOD_TIME_SERVER_PREFERRED) call failed,
>          error
>          1722
>          A Good Time Server could not be located.
>          Warning: DcGetDcName(KDC_REQUIRED) call failed, error 1722
>          A KDC could not be located - All the KDCs are down.
>          ......................... mytestdomain.ca failed test
LocatorCheck