[Samba] Samba File Server as Domain Member of Samba PDC

Juan Asensio Sánchez okelet at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 00:55:22 MST 2011

Hi

We have configured 2 PDC Samba (v3.0.33, sambapdc1 and sambapdc2)
servers using LDAP (389 DS v1.2.5) as its database backend. If I run
"net rpc user -UXXXX" from theses servers I get all groups in LDAP.
These servers are working fine for a long time.

Now I have configured a file server (not logon server, sambafs1), as a
member of the domain served by those servers (this with v3.3.8). I
have configured the LDAP client, so I can do "getent passwd" and
"getent group" and I see all objects from LDAP. Next, I have
configured Samba with this conf:

[global]
unix charset = LOCALE
workgroup = XXXXX.YYYYY
server string = Samba FS XXXXX.YYYYY - ZZZZZZZZZ

security = domain
encrypt passwords = yes
password server = sambapdc1 sambapdc2
wins server = sambapdc1 sambapdc2

syslog = 0
log level = 2
#log level = 20
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.trace
max log size = 1000

# Opciones de gestión de recursos compartidos
add share command    = /bin/bash /opt/ldap/samba/smb_share_add.sh
change share command = /bin/bash /opt/ldap/samba/smb_share_add.sh
delete share command = /bin/bash /opt/ldap/samba/smb_share_del.sh

map acl inherit = Yes

Next, I have joined the Samba FS in the domain, using the command "net
rpc join -UXXXXXX", without any errors. Now, If I run "net rpc group
-S sambafs1 -UXXXXX", I get no groups. Is this normal? As Samba can't
see any groups, I cannot assign privileges using "net rpc rights
grant", so users can manage shares from Windows using the add, change
and delete share commands.

Thanks in advance. Regards,