[Samba] Windows 7/Samba unable to log in via name, works by IP

Jay Coleman jay.coleman at cctechnol.com
Tue Jan 25 13:58:18 MST 2011

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help with this.  We have a 3.3.8 Samba server, on
Centos 5.5 64, security DOMAIN, works beautifully with XP.  When windows
7 systems attempt to log in via \\NAME, the login window just
continually repeats, but they can login successfully when using \\IP_ADDRESS

Samba log shows the below in response to windows 7 login attempts.
[2011/01/25 10:08:26,  0] lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr_internal(1676)
   getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected
   read_socket_with_timeout: client 0.0.0.0 read error = Connection
reset by peer.

smb.conf
[global]
         workgroup = DOMAIN
         realm = DOMAIN.COM
         server string = andromeda
         security = DOMAIN
         password server = PASSWORD_JP
         log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log
         max log size = 250
         local master = No
         domain master = No
         dns proxy = No
         wins server = WINS_SERVER
         ldap ssl = No
         idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
         idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
         create mask = 0666
         directory mask = 0777
         # disable cups printing to stop log spam
         printcap name = /etc/printcap
         smb ports = 445 139
         client lanman auth = yes
         client ntlmv2 auth = yes
         lanman auth = yes
         ntlm auth = yes
         hide files = /lost+found/,.*/

         template shell = /bin/false
         winbind use default domain = yes

So far, we've tried:
     smb ports = 139
     changing windows 7 Network security settings (LAN Manager
authentication level and Minimum session security)
     added the auth lines to the smb.conf
     valid users = %S

The domain controllers are 2 x Windows Server 2000 and 1 x Windows
Server 2008.  Could that be part of the problem?  We will be replacing
the Windows Server 2000 systems shortly, but would like to fix this
sooner if possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jay