[Samba] Upgrade from 3.0.14 to 3.5 causes slow login

Bruno Guerreiro bruno.guerreiro at ine.pt
Tue Jan 18 05:34:01 MST 2011

Hi all.

Don’t know if this has be asked before, but since I find many results
about “processing delayed initial logon reply for client” but none
that’s solves my problem I’m asking here.

Due to need of adding Windows 7 machines to our domain, I must upgrade
our good old samba 3.0.14+openldap setup.

That’s causing some issues being the most obvious the fact that all
logins from XP workstations started to take much longer, the logon
scripts run much slower (increased from seconds to minutes), and that
the nmbd file gets flooded with the “processing delayed initial logon
reply for client” message.

I didn’t change anything in the smb.conf file.

Is there any config tweak that I’m missing?

Here’s my conf file (this is for a BDC):

# Global parameters

[global]

        smb ports = 139

        enable privileges = yes

        dos charset = 860

        unix charset = utf-8

        netbios name = si-lnx01

        netbios aliases =
netfiles-inf,netfiles-dsi,inf-lnx01,netprinters-dsi,netprinters-inf

        workgroup = INE

        server string = DC Informatica

        bind interfaces only = yes

        interfaces = (removed)

        min passwd length = 5

        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1

        idmap backend = ldap:ldap://127.0.0.1

        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

        log level = 3

        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

        max log size = 5000

        name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast

        time server = No

        add user script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"

        add group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -pa "%g"

        add user to group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m
"%u" "%g"

        delete user from group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupmod
-x "%u" "%g"

        set primary group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g
"%g" "%u"

        add machine script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"

        logon path =

        logon home =

        domain logons = yes

        os level = 33

        preferred master = yes

        domain master = no

        local master = yes

        wins support = no

        wins server = (removed)

        ldap suffix = dc=ine,dc=pt

        ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers

        ldap user suffix = ou=users

        ldap group suffix = ou=Groups

        ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap

        ldap admin dn = (removed)

        ldap ssl = no

        ldap delete dn = no

        ldap passwd sync = yes

        remote announce = (removed)

        remote browse sync = (removed)

        idmap uid = 1000-100000

        idmap gid = 1000-100000

        admin users = (removed)

        security = user

        template shell = /bin/false

        printer admin = (removed)

        load printers = Yes

        nt acl support = Yes

        printing = cups

        use client driver = No

        deadtime = 10

        guest account = nobody

        dont descend = /proc,/dev,/etc,/lib,/lost+found,/initrd

        show add printer wizard = yes

        ; to maintain capital letters in shortcuts in any of the profile
folders:

        preserve case = yes

        short preserve case = yes

        case sensitive = no

        host msdfs = yes

        veto files = /lost+found/,aquota.group,aquota.user

        store dos attributes = yes

Best Regards.

Bruno Guerreiro

"Confidencialidade: Esta mensagem (e eventuais ficheiros anexos) é destinada exclusivamente às pessoas nela indicadas e tem natureza confidencial. Se receber esta mensagem por engano, por favor contacte o remetente e elimine a mensagem e ficheiros, sem tomar conhecimento do respectivo conteúdo e sem reproduzi-la ou divulgá-la.

Confidentiality Warning: This e-mail message (and any attached files) is confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. lf you are not the intended recipient of this message please notify the sender and delete and destroy all copies immediately."