[Samba] smbldap-tools and phpldapadmin

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at firstbhph.com
Mon Jan 17 05:38:12 MST 2011

On Saturday 15 January 2011 4:26:03 pm William
Brown wrote:
> > If I enter the command "smbldap-useradd -a -m
> > -M juser -g "Domain Users" -G "Domain Admins"
> > -G "Administrators" -c "Joe User" juser"
> > (beginning and ending parens for clarity), I
> > do indeed create the type of user I'm trying
> > to create.  And, that user appears in the
> > list of users in PhpLdapAdmin.
> >
> > However, if I create the same type of user
> > using the PhpLdapAdmin "Samba3 Account"
> > template, the user doesn't have the same
> > attributes as the ones created via
> > smbldap-useradd.
>
> Yes, there are schema extensions in samba's
> ldap admin tool that extend the posix account.
> You can convert an existing user iirc with that
> command, since the posix password hash is
> irrerversible. Also pay attention you MUST use
> the smbpasswod tool to change passwords, else
> the userPassword and smbPassword feilds will
> de-sync.
>
> > I could probably create a bash script that
> > invokes smbldap-useradd for my users to use
> > to create accounts, but they're CLI-phobic,
> > so I really want to get PhpLdapAdmin to do
> > this.
> >
> > How can I accomplish this
> > PhpLdapAdmin/smbldap-useradd "integration?
> > I'm really not a programmer, so messing with
> > the PhpLdapAdmin xml files is daunting to me
> > if, in fact, this is how it's done.  I've
> > looked through all of the config files
> > associated with the PDC set-up, but simply
> > don't see anything in them that would do the
> > trick.
>
> sorry, but edit the templates. Look here
>
> http://phpldapadmin.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.
>php/Templates
>
> Also, create a user in ldap, and one in smb,
> then compare the differences. Some of the
> fields are autogenerated as well iirc,
>
> You can likely cheat with the <value> tag, to
> call php, that calls your smb script. Something
> like <value>system("smbldap-useradd -a -m -M"
> uid "") might do it (you will need to
> substitute in values like i did with "uid" )
>
> > If anyone has accomplished this, I would
> > greatly appreciate your help!
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Dimitri
> >
> > --

Thank you both for your responses.

I was afraid I'd hear, "sorry, but edit the
templates".  Now, I know the old saw about, "If
you give a man a fish ... ", but if someone has
already created such a template, and is willing
to share it, I'd be extremely grateful.  It's not
laziness, it's lack of skill in this area.

Thanks.

Dimitri

believed to be clean.