[Samba] IIS Change Notifications

Sat Jan 15 07:46:25 MST 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 03:16:33PM +1300, Gareth Evans wrote:
> As per previous message, I thought it might be the size of the path or
> something, so I just set up another fresh 10.10 ubuntu, built 3.5.6 from
> source and tested with changenotify exe using a short path
> (\\smbtest\tmp<file://smbtest/tmp>
> )
> This is on a different win7 box to the one I was using last time, which
> eliminates any potentially strange configs on that machine.
> Also a fresh 10.10 so nothing odd could be there that could be breaking this
> from my testing last time
> Just installed the box, aptitude update && aptitude upgrade, wget source,
> ./configure, make, makeinstall
> Created nobody user, copied smb.conf, started the server up

Just tried with EXACTLY your smb.conf settings. Worked. Next
try: Can you please strace smbd?

Start a network trace according to

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Capture_Packets

The last network traces you sent unfortunately did not show
any relevant traffic, there must be something wrong with
your tcpdump. Please make sure that you see the right
traffic with wireshark before you send that again.

Connect to the share with an explorer window, so that you
get a service smbd. Look up the PID with smbstatus. Then
start another network trace. Please then do a

strace -ttT -p <smbd-pid> -o /tmp/smbd.strace

Then start your test program and do a modification of the
subdir from a command line program. Then stop the strace
with Ctrl-C, stop the network trace and send both.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9