[Samba] can connect to 2 samba servers by name but to one by IPonly

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 12:14:08 MST 2011

nslookup on windows machines does require the FQDN name-  i.e.
"pdc1.mydomain.com."

ping does not (windows will appropriately add the domain name.)

I have not tried "net use \\pdc1.mydomain.com" from a VPN connection.

I know that "nslookup" and "ping" in Windows have separate name
resolution routines, and handle domain suffixes a little
differently.     Again, that should have affected all machines.
Machines on VPN connection get the "mydomain.com" appended to the VPN
virtual NIC, but it is not the default domain for the machine.

I looked at my DNS server-  I can't see any differences in the entry for
"pdc1" vs any other machine-  even though DNS is the only thing that
would make sense.  But VPN clients use the 2ndary DNS servers for name
lookup, not the primary.     I may try configuring VPN clients to use
the primary DNS server.    None of the server names are 16 characters or
more.

Thanks