[Samba] can connect to 2 samba servers by name but to one by IPonly

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Thu Jan 13 10:38:24 MST 2011

2011/1/13 Gaiseric Vandal <gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com>:
> Adding pdc1 to the hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) did
> not make a difference.  After adding pdc1 to lmhosts,  "net use \\pdc1" did
> work.  So in the case of pdc1 one, the name is being resolved as a netbios
> name (i.e. via lmhosts) not a tcp/ip type name (i.e. via dns or hosts)
>
> But then why does "net use" work with all the other windows or samba
> servers?  As  far as I can tell, DNS is the only method by which the names
> are being resolved.

What does "nslookup PDC1" and "ping PDC1" show?

If you have a host named "PDC1.example.com" then nslookup PDC1 may
return the IP address of "PDC1.example.com", not the IP address of
expected "PDC1".

Anyway, you had better debug at the view of DNS name resolution, not Samba.

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at samba.gr.jp>