[Samba] problem connecting DFS-share with winXP - successful with Vista & 7

David Merhar merhar at arlut.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 7 08:01:00 MST 2011

No problem on connecting directly.

Policy update for ODAA (DSS) compliance.  A whole slew of stuff.
Didn't cause a problem on clients, but DFS (on XP) dropped when policy
hit server.  (We've tried rolling back on the client).

It is a 2K3 domain.  We could deviate temporarily with the group
policy were we to identify the offending setting, but running through
all the permutations and accompanying resets is not an option.

"Could" also be a windows update issue as the entire network was reset
over the break - but I am pretty certain it's group policy/security
related.

We're closing in on 1PB worth of SAN, so DFS verges on essential,  but
maybe this will provide the users the incentive to upgrade to MS7.

djm