[Samba] samba 3.5.6 and AIO on Linux

Tue Jan 4 07:36:34 MST 2011

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 11:02:46PM +0900, TAKAHASHI Motonobu wrote:
> 2011/1/4 Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de>:
> >> Can anyone confirm that AIO actually works on Linux, I have seen xBSD
> >> related mail claiming that it does work and brings nice performance
> >> improvement.
> >
> > Yes, I've used that many times. To be honest, this smells
> > like a problem in glibc on your system. You might want to
> > try
> >
> > vfs objects = aio_fork
> >
> > With best regards,
> >
> > Volker Lendecke
>
> Is there any documents mentioned about aio_fork?

Not sure. Probably not, sorry.

> As far as I looked at the source, enabling aio_fork, aio will execute in forked
> processes simultaneously? And is it on the production level?

It does fork for the async requests, it uses shared memory
for the data transfer and it passes the file descriptors via
a unix domain socket. Production level? Well, I've used it
in some pretty large installations already with no problems
attributed to it. That does not mean it's bug-free though.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9