[Samba] Samba OpenLDAP TLS

Willy Offermans Willy at Offermans.Rompen.nl
Mon Jan 3 03:29:27 MST 2011

Dear Michael and Samba friends,

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 11:50:49PM +0200, Michael Wood wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 30 December 2010 14:35, Willy Offermans <Willy at offermans.rompen.nl> wrote:
> > Dear Samba friends,
> >
> > I have setup a samba server 3.5 on FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE-p2 with
> > openldap-sasl-server-2.4. I have specified ``TLSVerifyClient demand'' in
> > slapd.conf and want to enforce the clients to connect and show a
> > valid certificate to the ldap server. As far as I have understood, Samba
> > will act as a client as well and in order to access the ldap server it will
> > need a client certificate as well. I do know how to generate a client
> > certificate, but I do not know where to tell samba to use this
> > client certificate. Is this supported by Samba or do I need to lower the
> > constraints regarding the TLSVerifyClient? Maybe to ``TLSVerifyClient try''?
>
> Just a guess, but have you tried the TLS_CERT and TLS_KEY options from
> the LDAP client config?  They're listed in ldap.conf(5) as "user-only
> options", so should be specified in $HOME/.ldaprc or ldaprc in the
> current directory.  Not sure where $HOME or the current directory are
> for Samba, though, but perhaps that will point you in the right
> direction.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> --

Thanks for your answer!

I guess $HOME is the home directory of root in this case, but I'm not sure
yet. I have created the following file:

/root/ldaprc

with the following content:

<snip>
#
# User specific LDAP settings
#

# Override global directive (if set)
TLS_REQCERT demand

# client authentication
TLS_CERT /root/certs/root.pem
TLS_KEY /root/certs/keys/root.key
</snip>

It helped me to work with ldapadd -ZZ ... commands from the command prompt.

I hope that samba works in a similar way, meaning that it will make use of
/root/ldaprc to show its client certificate. I have not yet tested samba,
because I'm still setting up this server and I was distracted by the
installation of other programs.

If somebody has already experienced that /root/ldaprc will not work for samba,
then please give me a hint on how to setup this correctly.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,

Willy