[Samba] Samba crashes & floods logfiles: "smbd/notify_inotify.c:244(inotify_handler) - No data on inotify fd?!"

Tue Jan 4 06:07:44 MST 2011

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 02:56:27PM +0200, Tom H. Lautenbacher wrote:
> Hello Andrew,
>
> thank you for your time, too!!
>
> >>3. Did I do anything wrong, or is this a problem with the standard
> >>kernel included in openSUSE 11.2? Is there anything I can do about it?
> >
> >This problem has been around for several years on RHEL as well - I
> >suspect it is a kernel<->samba issue.
>
> How come this affects only some users and not all?
>
> >http://forum.soft32.com/linux/Samba-Samba-logs-fill-disk-inotify-errors-
> >smbd-100-CPU-ftopict479508.html
> >
> >Every box I build now has that setting turned on.  I occasionally turn
> >it off to see if there are still issues, and every time it comes back -
> >so it's still an issue AFAIK.
>
> Andrew, Volker Lendecke answered to my problem in this thread, too,
> but with a different solution.
> Which one should I prefer by your opinion in terms of the most solid
> server configuration possible?

Both "kernel change notify = no" and "notify:inotify=false"
are equivalent. They both disable the use of inotify.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9