[Samba] samba 3.5.6 and AIO on Linux

Ofer H anonidev at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 02:13:32 MST 2011

Hi list,

I have been trying to enable AIO on ARMv5 Samba built with kernel headers
2.6.31.8, the configure indicated that AIO is supported via kernel headers
and all went smooth (regarding the build process).

Once I added the smb.conf 'aio write size=1' and tried to perform a file
copy to the Samba share I noticed that 32K of the file (of the 1GB file)
have been copied to the share but the file copy stalled and did not finish.
I had to restart Samba to see that share since it was stuck, I have
experienced the same fenomenon with XPsp2 and W7 clients.

I also noticed that the Samba daemon that was forked as root (not as nobody
as it usually does) and stayed blocked on some FUTEX taken.

Can anyone confirm that AIO actually works on Linux, I have seen xBSD
related mail claiming that it does work and brings nice performance
improvement.

-Frank