[Samba] Samba with multiple domains with LDAP backend

Lorenzo Milesi lorenzo.milesi at yetopen.it
Thu Feb 24 15:08:49 MST 2011

> You should create a distinct smb.conf for each domain.  You will want
> allocate a unique IP on your server for each domain.  You will want
> allocate a unique ldap toplevel container for each domain.  You will
> need to
> run separate instances of smbd (and nmbd and winbindd ) for each
> domain-
> you can specify the config file that you want.

I found a couple of documents, including the following [1], which describe the setup with multiple smb.conf file, but it won't mention the multiple IP need.
it looked strange to me that multiple instances of smbd could bind to the same port... so I see why some other docs exposed the request you did.

[1] http://www.linuxforums.org/articles/setting-up-samba-pdc-for-multiple-domains_329.html

> It may be easier, depending on what you are doing, to create separate
> virtual machines (e.g. with Vmware ESX)  for each domain and truly
> isolate each samba domain.

It was the first idea we got, but I'd rather not pursue it if I can, because that would mean administer [security updates, and so on] three different servers.

Thanks

Lorenzo Milesi - lorenzo.milesi at yetopen.it

YetOpen S.r.l. - http://www.yetopen.it/
Via Carlo Torri Tarelli 19 - 23900 Lecco - ITALY -
Tel 0341 220 205 - Fax 178 6070 222

GPG/PGP Key-Id: 0xE704E230 - http://keyserver.linux.it

-------- D.Lgs. 196/2003 --------

Si avverte che tutte le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio sono
riservate ed a uso esclusivo del destinatario. Nel caso in cui questo
messaggio Le fosse pervenuto per errore, La invitiamo ad eliminarlo
senza copiarlo, a non inoltrarlo a terzi e ad avvertirci non appena
possibile.
Grazie.