[Samba] Settings ACLS from Windows via member server

Mark Dieterich mkd at cs.brown.edu
Tue Feb 22 13:00:03 MST 2011

> BTW, for this comment I mean when a Windows PC connects to a samba
> domain member server the ACLs tab displays SIDs instead of usernames.
> On the PDC/BDC winbind is not needed for the display of user names in
> the ACLs tab. In either case winbind has nothing to do with the
> functionality of the acls. They still would work without winbind but
> you just cant tell who has access writes that is unless you memorized
> the SIDs...

I wish I could even get to the point of seeing numeric SIDs ;)

I guess my next question would be... is there a way to setup winbind and
idmap in such a way that it is read only and doesn't try to dynamically
map anything?  We pre-seed our LDAP database and I don't really want
samba trying to dynamic change anything on us, especially when it comes
to user mappings.

Mark