[Samba] Fedora 14 and Samba 3.4.11 compile/install blues

Mac webreg.samba.org at panscend.com
Fri Feb 18 06:56:01 MST 2011

I been reading everything I could find about Samba PDC and getting
Windows 7 to join a domain and thought I'd try a little test before
trying it in a prod env.

I installed Fedora 14 32-bit on a spare machine without Samba. Then
tried to compile and install Samba 3.4.11. On the configure, make, and
make install, nothing stopped because of errors and all seemed to go well.

The next thing I did was to go to the Services list to start the nmbd
and smbd daemons. Neither was shown. I then rebooted the machine (old
Windows training, sorry) and rechecked looking for the services. Nothing.

Also, no /etc/samba/smb.conf file.

Got a copy of some old how to do it all manually from the samba.org site
(PDF file detailing a compile). Put up a dummy smb.conf (copied the
skeleton from the install). Then tried to run the daemons manually. Both
get the same error "/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: error while loading
shared libraries: libtalloc.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No
such file or directory".

I have attached the output from the configure, make, and make install as
I think there may be a hint there for someone that does this regularly
(developers usually glance and go "that doesn't look right")

Thanks for any help.