[Samba] making BDC samba + ldap server

tms3 at tms3.com tms3 at tms3.com
Fri Feb 18 06:45:39 MST 2011

> In my hint I think your samba PDC/Ldap is cuurently working well!
> First of all install a second machine with the samba and ldap.
> Do not start samba, do not start ldap.
> The ldap database should be nearly empty ex:/var/lib/ldap
>
> Now copy your smb.conf to your new machine ex: scp
> root at 2machine:/etc/samba
> Edit the smb.conf to your needs and adjust it to be a bdc:
> domain master=NO
> domain logons=YES
> Make a testparm it should succed like this:
> testparm
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> Processing section "[netlogon]"
> WARNING: The "share modes" option is deprecated
> Processing section "[sysvol]"
> WARNING: The "share modes" option is deprecated
> Processing section "[homes]"
> Processing section "[profiles]"
> Processing section "[alles]"
> Processing section "[printers]"
> Processing section "[print$]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_BDC  <----------------------------you are a
> BDC
> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

Yes very nice!

> Now you are on to copy your slapd.conf and ldap.conf to your new
> machine:
> Ex: scp slapd.conf root at 2machine:/etc/openldap
>
> Now important I do the trick with slurpd.
Sorry, but Slurpd is depricated and no longer available in Openldap
since 2.3
http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/replication.html#Replacing%20Slurpd

Here is nice overview of the way LDAP currently works:

http://blog.suretecsystems.com/archives/129-Replacing-Slurpd-using-OpenLDAP-2.4.html

Once you have sync-repl set up on the current master, and a proper
slapd.conf and ldap.conf file on the new machine, start ldap, then

smbpasswd -w <ldap-master-passwd>
net rpc join -U<administrator> <domain name>

Done.