[Samba] I can't connect to a Samba resource

Philippe LeCavalier support at plecavalier.com
Wed Feb 16 12:41:44 MST 2011

Excerpts from J. L. Cabral's message of Wed Feb 16 14:25:40 -0500 2011:
[...]
> Samba Server: Centos 5.5 with samba and samba-common packages
> Content of smb.conf:
> [global]
> workgroup = somisa
[...]
> [share]
> comment = recordings
> path = /var/recorder
> browseable = yes
> writable = yes
> public = yes
> read only = no
>
> #adduser jelo
> #passwd jelo (1234)
> #smbpasswd -a jelo (1234, same as Unix account)
> #/etc/init.d/smb restart
>
> I'm now in my Windows Desktop, connected to a domain called somisa,
> the same as the samba workgroup with user jelo with pass rata89012
> (not 1234 as the samba pass).

Have you joined the domain?
> After that from into Windows explorer I connect to unit W:
>
> \\samba_server\share
>
> with user: jelo and pass: 1234
this is the source of your issues. See [1] for the why and how.
> I can see the resource but  I get an error telling me that the ACCESS
> IS DENIED to W:
>
> and this is the log:
>
> [2011/02/16 16:22:16, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1077)
>   2000-96 (10.11.4.22) connect to service share initially as user jelo
> (uid=500, gid=500) (pid 20468)
>

> What can I do ??? I have this problem from a lot of days ago :(
ref.
[1]
You'll have problems like that if your account credentials aren't identical.
By logging in to the domain you're creating a link using a certain set
of credentials. Then by issuing \\samba_server\share and providing a
different set you're working against a longtime/well known limitation
that windows cannot connect to the same network resource using different
credentials...Is the Win 7 Pro by any chance?

It's not impossible but will likely lead to problems if
your not experienced in doing so.

--
Thanks,
Phil