[Samba] Samba PDC / Windows 7 client Default User.v2 not loaded + SOLUTION

kusic at volny.cz kusic at volny.cz
Thu Feb 10 08:24:32 MST 2011

Hello,
I have been fighting with this particular problem for almost week.
I didnot find any solution till today!
I would like to share this one with you to help.

The network:
****************
1. Samba PDC server (OpenSuse 11.2 - samba 3.4.3-3.6.1)
2. Windows 7 Pro 64bit clients
3. A lot of Windows XP Pro clients

The past:
************
1. Few years of perfect Windows XP networking with full roaming
profile support and
folder redirection.
(250 students + 30 stuff)

The problem now:
*******************************
New Windows 7 Pro 64bit clients
A. Aplied those two registry patches as shown on Wiki.
B. I have successfully joined Domain.
C. I have successfully logged in with any user in schooll.
D. Logon script from NETLOGON share are working fine...

BUT "Default User.v2\ntuser.dat" is not loaded to Win7 client!!!
(all permissions are ok)

The SOLUTION (suprising!)
*********************************
Do not let the machine account to be created on-the-fly!!!!!!!!!
When I do manually:

useradd -c "Workstation (machine$)" -d /nohome -s /bin/false
machine$
smbpasswd -a -m machine$

THEN the "Default User.v2\ntuser.dat" is loaded by Win7 client FINE!

Why??? I dont know!
************************
The old add machine script in smb.conf is working fine for WinXP
machines, why not for Windows 7???

Eg.
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c "Workstation (%u)" -d
/nohome -s /bin/false "%u"

Logs
********
In samba log, there is getpwnam() error stating that MACHINE$ is in
passwd but getpwnam() fails to get password...

Jan