[Samba] Samba 4 roaming profiles

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Dec 27 01:41:22 MST 2011

On 12/27/2011 09:19 AM, Michael Wood wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 22 December 2011 19:05, steve<steve at steve-ss.com>  wrote:

>>> Thanks Adam
>>>
>>> If I understand this correctly, I authenticate the Linux box via Samba
>>> 4. I have /home mounted on the Linux client via NFS. Under openldap this
>>> works fine. My problem is with this:
>>>
>>> Currently, authenticating against openLDAP, I have the users /home
>>> folder nfs mounted and so after authentication, all the users settings
>>> are read as if the user has logged on locally.
>>>
>>> If I authenticate Linux via Samba 4 AD, The Linux box has to be joined
>>> to the domain likewise is creating the users /home folder locally on the
>>> client and so any user settings are not seen when the user logs in on
>>> another Linux box. Is likewise the only way of joining the Linux box to
>>> the domain?
>>>
>>> How do I get the same effect with Samba 4 authentication so that the
>>> users home folder is read rather than likewise creating a local home
>>> folder where settings will not be transferred to the users actual home
>>> folder?
>>>
>>> Really need to take likewise out of the equation here I think.
>>>
>>> Simply, I authenticate using AD. How do I have the user read from his
>>> own home folder after authentication?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your patience.
>>> Steve.
>>
>> This is what I want:
>>
>> http://www.likewise.com/resources/documentation_library/manuals/open/likewise-open-guide.html#SetHomeDirAndShell
>>
>> Is there any way I can implement this with Samba 4?
> You seem to be barking up the wrong tree :)
>
> Samba 4 is supposed to be a re-implementation of Active Directory.
> The above link is for non-AD, NT-style domains.  I think what you're
> looking for is how to "Associate a Cell with an OU or a Domain".
>
> These might be useful:
>
> http://www.likewise.com/resources/documentation_library/manuals/lwe/ch02s04.html
> http://www.likewise.com/resources/documentation_library/manuals/lwe/ch04.html
>
> I've never used Likewise, though.

Hi
Thanks for the links. It is indeed what we want. The cost of
implementing it via likewise is beyond our means. Neither do they
support Samba 4. We'll just have to hope that Samba 4 will ship rfc 2307
compliant. The guys at openSUSE did it for Samba 3/LDAP so I'm hoping
the Samba 4 guys will rise to the challenge before release.
Thanks,
Steve