[Samba] Samba 4 roaming profiles

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 01:19:48 MST 2011

Hi

On 22 December 2011 19:05, steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:
> On 22/12/11 14:04, steve wrote:

>>> So long as it is somewhere that (a) has reasonable performance (b) gets
>>> backed up and (c) user's are tempted to mess with them directly [which
>>> is why home directory overlap is bad].

>>> Yes. I have no experience with Likewise, but this is the experience I
>>> would expect. It would only really work if it mapped some folders in
>>> the roaming profile to the equivalent XDG folders - I have no idea how
>>> that would work.

>>> Usually by automounting the home directory. All that stuff is really
>>> part of the home directoy in LINUX [GNOME]. You can do some management
>>> of the desktop via tools like Sabayon.
>>>
>> Thanks Adam
>>
>> If I understand this correctly, I authenticate the Linux box via Samba
>> 4. I have /home mounted on the Linux client via NFS. Under openldap this
>> works fine. My problem is with this:
>>
>> Currently, authenticating against openLDAP, I have the users /home
>> folder nfs mounted and so after authentication, all the users settings
>> are read as if the user has logged on locally.
>>
>> If I authenticate Linux via Samba 4 AD, The Linux box has to be joined
>> to the domain likewise is creating the users /home folder locally on the
>> client and so any user settings are not seen when the user logs in on
>> another Linux box. Is likewise the only way of joining the Linux box to
>> the domain?
>>
>> How do I get the same effect with Samba 4 authentication so that the
>> users home folder is read rather than likewise creating a local home
>> folder where settings will not be transferred to the users actual home
>> folder?
>>
>> Really need to take likewise out of the equation here I think.
>>
>> Simply, I authenticate using AD. How do I have the user read from his
>> own home folder after authentication?
>>
>> Thanks for your patience.
>> Steve.
>

> This is what I want:
>
> http://www.likewise.com/resources/documentation_library/manuals/open/likewise-open-guide.html#SetHomeDirAndShell
>
> Is there any way I can implement this with Samba 4?

You seem to be barking up the wrong tree :)

Samba 4 is supposed to be a re-implementation of Active Directory.
The above link is for non-AD, NT-style domains.  I think what you're
looking for is how to "Associate a Cell with an OU or a Domain".

These might be useful:

http://www.likewise.com/resources/documentation_library/manuals/lwe/ch02s04.html
http://www.likewise.com/resources/documentation_library/manuals/lwe/ch04.html

I've never used Likewise, though.