[Samba] nmblookup failures

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Sun Dec 18 07:33:42 MST 2011

From: Dermot <paikkos at googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 11:02:55 +0000

> I have a strange problem with a domain member server. The Samba3
> domain master/wins server can not lookup the host. Workstations that
> are trying to connect to the server appear to be having trouble
> finding it (network path not found).

Is "Workstation" service enabled on the server?

The correct WINS server is set on the server?

And to connect with \\<server's IP address> is success?

Firewall on the server is potentially blocked the neccesary
connection. Have you checked the firewall settings on the server?

> To get around the problem, I have manually added the server into
> /var/lib/samba/wins.dat. I am having to add it every day.

You can set an entry statically like:

"problemserver#20" 0 w.x.y.z 66R

#20 means NetBIOS suffix. 66R means:
  0x60 (registered by H-node) +