[Samba] nmblookup failures

Dermot paikkos at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 13 04:02:55 MST 2011

Hi,

I have a strange problem with a domain member server. The Samba3
domain master/wins server can not lookup the host. Workstations that
are trying to connect to the server appear to be having trouble
finding it (network path not found).

nmblookup problemserver
querying problemserver on 192.168.0.255
name_query failed to find name problemserver
rigel:/var/lib/samba# nmblookup otherserver
querying otherserver on 192.168.0.255
192.168.0.152 otherserver<00>

To get around the problem, I have manually added the server into
/var/lib/samba/wins.dat. I am having to add it every day.

Does anyone have any advice as to what the problem might be or where
to begin chasing it down.
Thanks,
Dermot.